Helpful FAQs, Guides & Tutorials
Your most frequently asked questions, answered
1. What is PayTabs?
PayTabs is an award winning, B2B payment solutions provider that processes payments simply and securely. The PayTabs product targets SME’s primarily with a view to making online card acceptance more easily integrated with lower costs and more importantly minimal fraud.
Services provided include Secure Payment Gateway, Fraud Preventions systems with convenient payment options and ecommerce platforms tailor-made for social media compatibility.
2. Is it safe to process credit/debit cards over Internet?
Yes, it is safe for you and for your customers provided the necessary precautions are followed to minimize risks.PayTabs uses the latest version of Secure Socket Layer (SSL) system that requires credit card data be transmitted from your (or your Internet Service Provider’s (ISP)) secure server in encrypted form. This ensures that no one can intercept the transaction and obtain sensitive information. You can view further information on PayTabs’ security standards here.
However, there are other precautions that you are required to take, according to Visa, MasterCard, Payment Card Industry (PCI) Standard compliances.
3. Which credit/debit cards will I be able to accept?
You will be able to accept major credit/debit cards from MasterCard, Visa, American Express*, mada*, Knet, and Oman net for the time being. We will be adding more card processors in the near future.
* Available for merchants in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
4. How can I register for a Merchant account? How do I proceed forward? Who do I speak to? How long does the whole process take?
Registration is a simple and easy process. Please click here to register online and a sales representative will contact you to further assist you and provide you with the required support.
5. What are the currencies other than USD that I can accept?
You can accept and process in 168 worldwide currencies. However, you will be settled in the local currency you have selected.
6. What are the charges for using PayTabs?
For our pricing plans, please click here
7. What are the different payment methods and currencies that PayTabs supports?
Please refer attached
1. How do I know that my account is live or test?
Log into your PayTabs Merchant Account, on the top you will see your account status on your PayTabs Merchant Dashboard. If it is ‘TEST’ then you are in TEST environment, if it shows ACTIVE or ACTIVE FROZEN, this means you can accept live payments.
2. I am using the test cards on the documentation, but it never gives me a successful transaction!
Test cards can only be used in a test environment before starting the activation process (Go Live). Log into your PayTabs Merchant Account and check the status of your account on the top right corner of your dashboard. If your status is TEST, only then can you use test credit cards to make a successful transaction.
3. How can I change my Store Name?
If you are a Test Merchant, you will be able to change your store name before the Go-Live Activation Process. But if you are already an active merchant, you will need to contact firstname.lastname@example.org and request to change your Store Name.
4. I have three applications / companies and I would like to integrate PayTabs in all of them. Can I use the same PayTabs Merchant Account?
PayTabs Merchant Accounts are restricted for multiple entities. You will have to treat each application and/or online store as a separate entity. Each PayTabs Merchant Account should correspond to only one application and/or online store. In this way you will get separate statements for each PayTabs Merchant Account. In this particular case, you will need three PayTabs Merchant Accounts.
5. I have requested for a LIVE account, why is it taking so long?
Here are the scenarios where your application might take longer than usual:
- The documents submitted are not valid.
- PayTabs may require you to furnish more information on your business nature, website, documents etc.
- Applications may be going through a special approval process for different lines of businesses.
However, our sales representatives will be updating you regularly on the status of your application.
If you have any concerns, please contact email@example.com
1. I do not have a Postal Code for my City/Country. How do I make a payment?
We understand that some countries do not have postal codes e.g. GCC Countries. In these cases, you may use the telephone country code instead. But However, if your country does have postal codes, entering a wrong postal code may result in payment rejection.
2. Where can I see the complete listing of all Payment Response Codes?
To view all the reason codes related to transactions, login to your merchant dashboard, go to “Help” >> “Reason Codes”.
3. Why was my transaction declined?
You can refer to your merchant dashboard and click the “View” button against the specific transaction and view the reason for rejection/decline. Additionally, you may contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
4. Why does the transaction reason show “SUSPICIOUS TRANSACTION”? What can you do about this?
PayTabs has a fraud monitoring tool that flags suspicious transactions when risky factors and elements have been triggered by the system. It consists of internal risk parameters set based on the merchant’s line of business.
Suspicious transactions are temporarily shown as rejected and PayTabs may either request merchant for further verification or decide to permanently reject the transaction – when found highly suspicious upon review.
5. I have requested for a refund, why is it taking so long?
All refunds will be processed during PayTabs working days, and within 48 hours from the time of the refund request.
6. I have requested for a funds withdrawal, why is it taking so long?
Fund withdrawing is automated, your funds will be released each Monday that follows your holding period with a minimum of $300.
The released funds would be credited to your bank account within the next 24 hours from the approval notification.
If in the rare event that you did not receive the funds within the stipulated period, please check with your bank for any issues. You should also notify PayTabs merchant relations immediately if any such issue arises.
1. What kind of merchants do you accept?
We accept all merchants (Micro / Small / Medium Enterprises) wanting to sell online but without the capacity to accept online payments. Corporate Merchants are also welcome to sign-up with us. Our network of acquiring banks allows us to provide an account for a wide range of merchant categories.
2. What are the documents required to apply for a PayTabs Account?
The documents required may vary depending on the nature of business. To activate your application, PayTabs requires clear scanned copy the following documents:
- Government issued personal ID’s of the establishment owner and partner(s) if any.
- Business license/Commercial Registration (CR) issued by the government. Please ensure that the nature of business in the CR matches with trade activity in the website.
- Six month Bank Statement (under the company title) on the Bank’s official letterhead. Bank statement should also contain complete account information IBAN, account number, beneficiary name etc.
- Your logo. That will be required after signing up and testing once you request to ‘Go Live’.
- Proof of Address (eg: Rental lease, Electricity Bill)
- Company’s Terms and Conditions.
- MOA / if Applicable.
However, the merchant might be requested to provide any further documentation that helps demonstrate the financial stability to determine that the company will continue operating successfully well into the future.
Kindly note when submitting for go-live application, merchants are advised to upload clear copies of the requested documents either in Arabic or English, and type in/ enter the required details as accurately as possible to avoid delays in the approval process. If any doubts arise, feel free to contact our sales representatives.
3. What is a good website according to PayTabs?
A clear and descriptive website, in local and English Language, will enable the Risk Assessment Team to better understand the merchant’s business and its process. This eventually helps to reduce delays in the application process.
A good website usually has the following characteristics:
a) Products & Clear description of the products.
b) Clear Pricing of products.
c) Terms and Conditions of Service.
d) Refund& Exchange policy.
e) Shipment and delivery period details.
f) Customer service contacts details. (Email and / or call center) and corporate address.
g) The email should be under company domain and not a free email.
h) SSL secured for global websites.
i) PayTabs logo, with the logos of Visa / MasterCard and Amex if applicable.
4. Why does the merchant need to register to get a PayTabs account?
Registration is required to use PayTabs service. We require accurate information in order to process your registration smoothly. Merchant information must kept up to date at all times to avoid inconvenience and delays especially in processing of funds. PayTabs has the rights to suspend, terminate or will not approve the application to Merchants who provide inaccurate, untrue or misrepresented data or those who fail to comply with the requirements needed.
Also, as per the mandate by Banks as well as Payment associations like MasterCard, Visa, Amex etc., we (PayTabs) need to do appropriate due diligence before approving your application.
The reason you must apply and be approved in order to get a merchant account is because there is the risk of losing money every time a credit or reversal is processed on a credit card transaction on behalf of your business. Visa and MasterCard have a very clear policy that is enforced when a cardholder pays for goods / services, which is:
The cardholder is entitled to receive the promised good or service. If such good or service is not delivered then the cardholder is entitled to getting their money back. This is one of the basic consumer protection principles that apply to credit card transactions. In order to mitigate this risk the credit card processor should have a robust screening / application process.
1. When can the merchant integrate with the PayTabs Payment Gateway?
The moment the merchant signs up, he can go and integrate with PayTabs using the test account setup. Once he has completed testing of the various functionalities and payment methods, and is willing to go live, he may register for a live account.
2. What is a Payment Gateway?
Payment Gateway is a service that automates the payment transactions between the customer and merchant. It is usually a 3rd party service that is actually a system of computer processes that process, verify, and accept or decline credit card transactions on behalf of the merchant through secure internet connections. The payment gateway is the infrastructure that allows a merchant to accept credit card and other forms of electronic payment.
When processing a credit card transaction, information needs to be sent to the cardholder’s bank to check if the card is valid and has sufficient funds to pay for the sale. In a traditional brick and mortar transaction it’s actually the POS (point of sale) machine which takes the cardholder data, formats it and sends it to Visa or MasterCard to see if the customer has sufficient funds.
In an ecommerce transaction the service takes place online via a payment gateway. The payment gateway receives transaction requests that are sent online and then connects to Visa or MasterCard, and ultimately to the cardholder’s bank to see if they have sufficient funds and it is a valid card etc.
PayTabs is a provider of such a payment gateway for the merchants.
3. How long does it take to integrate with the PayTabs Payment Gateway?
The integration process of PayTabs’ Payment Gateway can take anywhere between 24 to 48 hours.
4. What do I need to start accepting credit cards on my website?
You will need a fully functional online store where you can easily plug-in our script (complete instructions will be provided). Once your application is approved, you will be provided with a PayTabs Merchant login ID and your bank account with our affiliated banks in your designated country of application.
5. Do I need any extra software to start accepting credit cards?
No additional software is required on your behalf. Your online store is already programmed in one of the popular programming languages (PHP, .Net, Java…), so you simply plug-in few snippets of the code we give you and you’re done. Once set up, you will be able to safely login at our gateway to manage your transactions, merchant accounts and to print statements.
1. Will I receive statements of all transactions?
Online transaction reporting is available 24/7, providing up to the minute, detailed information which merchants can use to confirm payments, identify processing problems, and other issues. You will be able to login to our systems and print out statements yourself or see your entire history of transactions in real-time.
2. What is the merchant pay-out schedule?
Merchants will get paid in about 8 business days (subject to terms & conditions). However, PayTabs might hold the amount for a longer period depending on a variety of factors, including but not limited to a proprietary set of rules, chargeback rates, transaction behavior, and other supplemental data about your business.
3. What is a Wire Transfer Fee?
Wire Transfer Fee is the amount paid by the Merchant for Inter-bank transfer of the Sales proceeds from PayTabs bank account to the Merchant’s Bank account.
Wire transfer fees are standard bank fees and PayTabs has NO control on it. While the wire transfer fees differ from bank to bank, it is generally in the range of US$ 15 to US$ 50 equivalent in the currency of the respective country.
1. What is fulfillment duration?
“Fulfillment duration” refers to the amount of time that passes between when a payment is collected and when the product or service is delivered. The greater time that passes between the date of the sale and the date the order is completed, the higher the risk score.
2. What are the prohibited categories of products or services?
Inappropriate content, goods or services
- Hate/Violence/Racism/Religious persecution
- Dangerous or hazardous goods
Illegal goods or services
- Any form of Copyright infringement, for both physical good content
File Hosting / Sharing and Cyberlockers
- Uncoded / Miscoded Gambling
- Lottery tickets, Skill game operators
Debt and loan related Businesses, High yield ﬁnancial investments
- Get rich quick schemes, other high yield ﬁnancial investments
Other declined Lines of Business
- Aggressive recurring business models (e.g. negative option)
- Internet pharmacies (including referral sites
- Weapons / Firearms
- Drugs / Illicit substances
- Non-Established Penny and reverse Auctions